- LANDLORDS RIGHTS TO ENTER THEIR TENANT'S PROPERTY Whether or not a landlord can enter his tenant’s property to carry out inspections, repair work etc even if the tenant is unhappy about this, is a hotly debated issue.
- LANDLORDS AND TAX HMRC is offering a range of support and advice for residential property landlords who want to bring their tax affairs up to date by being offered online training in tax matters. The computer-based tutorials will make it easier for them to understand when
- APPROVED REDRESS SCHEME FOR AGENTS Letting agents have until 1 October 2014 to register with 1 of 3 redress schemes, to ensure tenants and leaseholders have a straightforward option to hold their agents to account.
- IMMIGRATION ACT 2014 The Immigration Act 2014 contains a range of measures to reform and streamline the immigration system and address illegal immigration. It introduces restrictions on illegal immigrants accessing rented housing.
- PRE-PAYMENT METERS A pre-payment meter works on a ‘pay as you go’ basis so that tenants are in control of how much energy they are using.
- LANDLORD TRAINING MARCH 2014 Online Training
- AS COURT COSTS RISE WHAT IS THE ACTUAL COST OF GETTING YOUR PROPERTY BACK? On 22nd April civil court fees rose. Below are the fees relating to Repossession of a property from a bad tenant.
- TRAINING SCHEDULE FOR 2014
- NORTHUMBRIAN WATER See below a link to a very handy tool from Northumbrian Water where you can list, view and manage the water service charges for all of your properties.
- TRACKER RATE CAMPAIGN REQUESTS MORE LANDLORD ASSOCIATION SUPPORT The background to the Tracker Rate Campaign is that at least two mortgage lenders have used ambiguities within consumer protection legislation to increase their profit margins on some of their tracker rate mortgage products for both homeowners and smal
- SIGNS THAT YOU COULD BE RENTING TO A CANNABIS FARMER The latest report from the Independent Drug Monitoring Unit says that there are now as many as 500,000 people growing cannabis in the UK. Here is some advice on spotting the early signs of a cannabis farm in the property you’re renting out.
- RESULTS OF LANDLORD SURVEY We recently asked our members to take part in a survey regarding their experiences. A number responded with concerns about Housing Benefit. We put their concerns forward to the Housing Benefit section and they have responded accordingly.
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR LANDLORDS ABOUT DOMESTIC ABUSE If you believe one of your tenants is suffering from domestic abuse but they want to stay in your property the Sanctuary Scheme can make it possible for them to remain there. The scheme makes your home safer by installing the security measures you think w
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT WHEELY BINS Over recent years the Council has faced a sharp rise in the number ofwheeled bins reported lost, stolen or damaged, leading to asignificant increase in the cost of supplying replacement bins.
- LANDLORDS WITH WEST BROMWICH FACE TRACKER MORTGAGE RISE Thousands of UK landlords are facing a rise in the interest rate charged on their tracker mortgages despite no change in the Bank of England rate.
- WELFARE REFORM UPDATE &NDASH; OCTOBER 2013 Changes to Housing benefit from April 2013
- TOP TIP FROM ONE OF OUR LANDLORDS Now that the weather is starting to change , we are all starting to think about putting our heating systems on.
- HELP US STOP LOAN SHARKS NOW. Gateshead Council in partnership with ateshead Private Landlords Association are working in Partnership with the England Illegal Money Lending Team to help stop loan sharks. As a local landlord we would ask you to be vigilant in relation to this matter an
- SINCE THE INTRODUCTION OF THE BOND PROTECTION SCHEME IN APRIL 2007, THERE HAS BEEN A RISE IN THE NUMBER OF LANDLORDS ASKING FOR ADMIN CHARGES. THIS HAS RESULTED IN A NUMBER OF COURT CASES QUESTIONING THE AMOUNT OF ADMIN FEES BEING CHARGED. IN THESE CASES a. the amount being charged, and
- MULTI-MILLION POUND ENERGY EFFICIENCY MAKEOVER FOR HOMES IN THE NORTH EAST Up to 50,000 households and businesses in the North East are set to benefit from an energy efficiency scheme – Warm Up North – worth up to £200m that is aimed at reducing energy bills and tackling fuel poverty.Delivered by the nation&rsq
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT BONDS On 14th June Lord Justice Lloyd delivered his judgement on an appeal from the Wandsworth County Court in the case of Superstrike Ltd vs Marino Rodrigues.
- CAMPGROUND IS CLOSED On Monday 8th April the Campground Household Waste and Recycling Centre at Wrektnon closed for 12 months for refurbishment.
- BULKY HOUSEHOLD WASTE COLLECTIONS
- SWALWELL LANDLORDS LICENSING REMINDER Just a note to remind those of you who have properties within the new landlord licensing area in Swalwell, that the scheme goes live on 8th April 2013. It is an offence not to have a licence after this date, so would urge you to make arrangements to
- FLUES IN VOIDS REGULATIONS On the 1st of January 2013, a new gas regulation came into force regarding all gas boiler flues connected to room-sealed fan assisted boilers which have been fitted in void spaces. The flue regulations require that a Gas Safe Engineer must be able to see
- NEW TENANCY DEPOSIT PROTECTION RULES New deposit protection rules start soon that close loopholes that let landlords escape fines by returning money to tenants on the steps of the Court.
- FUTURE PROPOSED CHANGES TO HOUSING BENEFIT The regulations for these changes have not yet been passed so they could alter.
- HOMESLESS HEROES One of our members has contacted me about the above organisation.
- DEVELOPER FOR &POUND;347M GATESHEAD HOMES PLAN CHOSEN
- FREE FIRE RISK ASSESSMENTS AND SMOKE ALARMS Gateshead Council in partnership with the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service (TWFRS) are participating in a project to improve fire safety in the private rented sector. The Private Landlords Project will run from April 2011 and enables a free fire risk
- KIM PROVES SHE IS HOT PROPERTY ! Kim Waugh, who has been working hard to raise standards in the private rented sector team, has won a prestigious "Property Woman of the Year" Award from the National Landlords Association.
- ENERGY PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATES From 1st October 2008, any private landlord renting out his property to a new tenant will need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property.
All landlords are asked to be particularly vigilant when taking on board new tenants. It is essential that you are aware of a tenants history so you can make an informed decision as to whether they are suitable for your property.
There are some families and individuals who have caused havoc in Gateshead and wrecked homes and communities.
Do you really want them as your tenant?
The Private Rented Sector Team will carry out a vetting of a tenant for you, as a member of the Association and this will help you decide their suitability.
THIS IS A FREE SERVICE
For more information contact
Maxine, Chris, Denise or Val on
0191 433 2660 / 2574