Gateshead Council in partnership with the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service (TWFRS) are participating in a project to improve fire safety in the private rented sector. The Private Landlords Project will run from April 2011 and enables a free fire risk assessment to be carried out to your property. If any of your properties which are tenanted and either do not have smoke alarms or have alarms that are defective, you or your tenant can call TWFRS freephone number. TWFRS will then fit new detectors with ten year batteries. The telephone number to ring is FREEPHONE: 0800 0327 777 and the specific code to quote is PL1 (Gateshead).

  • If you have any tenants who you feel would benefit from these ten year detectors e.g. tenants that smoke in bed, or have young children, you can also telephone the freephone number and the detectors will be fitted.
  • When contacting the freephone number the name, address and contact telephone number should be left with the Fire Service during normal office hours or on the answer phone after hours and at weekends.