- BULKY HOUSEHOLD WASTE COLLECTIONS
- SWALWELL LANDLORDS LICENSING REMINDER Just a note to remind those of you who have properties within the new landlord licensing area in Swalwell, that the scheme goes live on 8th April 2013. It is an offence not to have a licence after this date, so would urge you to make arrangements to
- CHOPWELL LANDLORD LICENSING &NDASH; HOW IS IT GOING? The landlord licensing scheme in Chopwell has been live now since January 2010. The Council are keen to seek your views as a landlord on how you feel it is going and to see if there is anything further that can be done by the Council to help improve
- &NBSP;MEETING/TRAINING SCHEDULE FOR 2013 Training Events
- FLUES IN VOIDS REGULATIONS On the 1st of January 2013, a new gas regulation came into force regarding all gas boiler flues connected to room-sealed fan assisted boilers which have been fitted in void spaces. The flue regulations require that a Gas Safe Engineer must be able to see
- ILLEGAL TOBACCO&NBSP;AND PRIVATE RENTED PROPERTIES The illegal trade in tobacco is considered by some as a victimless crime. However, the reality is the trade is linked to organised crime and contributes to an underground economy worth hundreds of millions of pounds, the profits of which are used to
- ASSISTANCE FOR INSULATION AND CENTRAL HEATING IMPROVEMENTS Privately rented properties
- &NBSP;GATESHEAD WARMZONE Gateshead Warmzone have changed and updated their website. A new link can be found below. The old one has been closed down and will no longer be is use so any links to it will be redundant.
- WARMER HOMES MEAN HEALTHIER CHILDREN Many families on low-incomes have to make the choice between being warm and other essential items such as food or clothing.
- WELFARE REFORM UPDATE - SEPTEMBER 2012 Local Housing Allowance for private sector tenants from April 2013
- SELECTIVE LICENSING IN SWALWELL GIVEN THE GO AHEAD. Gateshead Council has designated part of Swalwell for the Selective licensing of landlords. The link below will take you to the Council website where you can view a map of the area and further details.
- FREE LOFT AND CAVITY WALL INSULATION Gateshead Warmzone can now offer Loft Insulation and Cavity Wall Insulation for free to any housing tenure.
- NEW TENANCY DEPOSIT PROTECTION RULES New deposit protection rules start soon that close loopholes that let landlords escape fines by returning money to tenants on the steps of the Court.
- FUTURE PROPOSED CHANGES TO HOUSING BENEFIT The regulations for these changes have not yet been passed so they could alter.
- THE WORK OF THE VULNERABLE PERSONS&RSQUO; HOUSING GROUP AND PANEL ARE CURRENTLY UNDER REVIEW. You have an opportunity to tell us where you think there are gaps in housing provision or how services are delivered for some of the most vulnerable people within our communities.
- HOMESLESS HEROES One of our members has contacted me about the above organisation.
- DEVELOPER FOR &POUND;347M GATESHEAD HOMES PLAN CHOSEN
- KIM PROVES SHE IS HOT PROPERTY ! Kim Waugh, who has been working hard to raise standards in the private rented sector team, has won a prestigious "Property Woman of the Year" Award from the National Landlords Association.
- ENERGY PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATES From 1st October 2008, any private landlord renting out his property to a new tenant will need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property.
- LANDLORDS BEWARE! All landlords are asked to be particularly vigilant when taking on board new tenants. It is essential that you are aware of a tenants history so you can make an informed decision as to whether they are suitable for your property.
FREE FIRE RISK ASSESSMENTS AND SMOKE ALARMS
Gateshead Council in partnership with the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service (TWFRS) are participating in a project to improve fire safety in the private rented sector. The Private Landlords Project will run from April 2011 and enables a free fire risk assessment to be carried out to your property. If any of your properties which are tenanted and either do not have smoke alarms or have alarms that are defective, you or your tenant can call TWFRS freephone number. TWFRS will then fit new detectors with ten year batteries. The telephone number to ring is FREEPHONE: 0800 0327 777 and the specific code to quote is PL1 (Gateshead).
- If you have any tenants who you feel would benefit from these ten year detectors e.g. tenants that smoke in bed, or have young children, you can also telephone the freephone number and the detectors will be fitted.
- When contacting the freephone number the name, address and contact telephone number should be left with the Fire Service during normal office hours or on the answer phone after hours and at weekends.