- NORTHUMBRIAN WATER See below a link to a very handy tool from Northumbrian Water where you can list, view and manage the water service charges for all of your properties.
- TRACKER RATE CAMPAIGN REQUESTS MORE LANDLORD ASSOCIATION SUPPORT The background to the Tracker Rate Campaign is that at least two mortgage lenders have used ambiguities within consumer protection legislation to increase their profit margins on some of their tracker rate mortgage products for both homeowners and smal
- SIGNS THAT YOU COULD BE RENTING TO A CANNABIS FARMER The latest report from the Independent Drug Monitoring Unit says that there are now as many as 500,000 people growing cannabis in the UK. Here is some advice on spotting the early signs of a cannabis farm in the property you’re renting out.
- RESULTS OF LANDLORD SURVEY We recently asked our members to take part in a survey regarding their experiences. A number responded with concerns about Housing Benefit. We put their concerns forward to the Housing Benefit section and they have responded accordingly.
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR LANDLORDS ABOUT DOMESTIC ABUSE If you believe one of your tenants is suffering from domestic abuse but they want to stay in your property the Sanctuary Scheme can make it possible for them to remain there. The scheme makes your home safer by installing the security measures you think w
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT WHEELY BINS Over recent years the Council has faced a sharp rise in the number ofwheeled bins reported lost, stolen or damaged, leading to asignificant increase in the cost of supplying replacement bins.
- LANDLORDS WITH WEST BROMWICH FACE TRACKER MORTGAGE RISE Thousands of UK landlords are facing a rise in the interest rate charged on their tracker mortgages despite no change in the Bank of England rate.
- WELFARE REFORM UPDATE &NDASH; OCTOBER 2013 Changes to Housing benefit from April 2013
- TOP TIP FROM ONE OF OUR LANDLORDS Now that the weather is starting to change , we are all starting to think about putting our heating systems on.
- HELP US STOP LOAN SHARKS NOW. Gateshead Council in partnership with ateshead Private Landlords Association are working in Partnership with the England Illegal Money Lending Team to help stop loan sharks. As a local landlord we would ask you to be vigilant in relation to this matter an
- SINCE THE INTRODUCTION OF THE BOND PROTECTION SCHEME IN APRIL 2007, THERE HAS BEEN A RISE IN THE NUMBER OF LANDLORDS ASKING FOR ADMIN CHARGES. THIS HAS RESULTED IN A NUMBER OF COURT CASES QUESTIONING THE AMOUNT OF ADMIN FEES BEING CHARGED. IN THESE CASES a. the amount being charged, and
- MULTI-MILLION POUND ENERGY EFFICIENCY MAKEOVER FOR HOMES IN THE NORTH EAST Up to 50,000 households and businesses in the North East are set to benefit from an energy efficiency scheme – Warm Up North – worth up to £200m that is aimed at reducing energy bills and tackling fuel poverty.Delivered by the nation&rsq
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT BONDS On 14th June Lord Justice Lloyd delivered his judgement on an appeal from the Wandsworth County Court in the case of Superstrike Ltd vs Marino Rodrigues.
- CAMPGROUND IS CLOSED On Monday 8th April the Campground Household Waste and Recycling Centre at Wrektnon closed for 12 months for refurbishment.
- BULKY HOUSEHOLD WASTE COLLECTIONS
- SWALWELL LANDLORDS LICENSING REMINDER Just a note to remind those of you who have properties within the new landlord licensing area in Swalwell, that the scheme goes live on 8th April 2013. It is an offence not to have a licence after this date, so would urge you to make arrangements to
- FLUES IN VOIDS REGULATIONS On the 1st of January 2013, a new gas regulation came into force regarding all gas boiler flues connected to room-sealed fan assisted boilers which have been fitted in void spaces. The flue regulations require that a Gas Safe Engineer must be able to see
- NEW TENANCY DEPOSIT PROTECTION RULES New deposit protection rules start soon that close loopholes that let landlords escape fines by returning money to tenants on the steps of the Court.
- FUTURE PROPOSED CHANGES TO HOUSING BENEFIT The regulations for these changes have not yet been passed so they could alter.
- HOMESLESS HEROES One of our members has contacted me about the above organisation.
- FREE FIRE RISK ASSESSMENTS AND SMOKE ALARMS Gateshead Council in partnership with the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service (TWFRS) are participating in a project to improve fire safety in the private rented sector. The Private Landlords Project will run from April 2011 and enables a free fire risk
- KIM PROVES SHE IS HOT PROPERTY ! Kim Waugh, who has been working hard to raise standards in the private rented sector team, has won a prestigious "Property Woman of the Year" Award from the National Landlords Association.
- ENERGY PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATES From 1st October 2008, any private landlord renting out his property to a new tenant will need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property.
- LANDLORDS BEWARE! All landlords are asked to be particularly vigilant when taking on board new tenants. It is essential that you are aware of a tenants history so you can make an informed decision as to whether they are suitable for your property.
Developer for £347m Gateshead Homes Plan Chosen
Gateshead Council has agreed to form a joint venture partnership with Evolution Gateshead, a consortium of Home Group and Galliford Try, to build around 2,400 new homes in Gateshead.
Cabinet members made their final decision today (12 April) on which of the two remaining shortlisted developers would be selected as preferred developer for the task of creating homes on 19 different sites in Gateshead.
The 19 sites – which are already in Council ownership or are in the process of being acquired and include both greenfield and brownfield sites –will be developed over a period of 15-20 years by a Joint Venture Vehicle (JVV), which is a formal partnership between Gateshead Council and Evolution Gateshead.
Creating a joint venture partnership means that both sides will be able to share the risks - and the rewards - of any major housing development, and reduces the Council’s reliance on central government funding. In addition, it will allow a whole package of sites to be developed, including important regeneration sites which will greatly improve the choice of homes available to people wanting to live in Gateshead.
The 19 sites total approximately 70 hectares and include Birtley Northside, the former Rail Freight Depot on the Felling by-pass, sites in Rowlands Gill, Chopwell and Bensham and Saltwell.
In announcing Evolution Gateshead as the preferred developer, the council has brought to a close a two and half year search for a development partner capable of meeting the Council’s ambitious vision for the borough. The procurement process was launched in November 2008 and bidders have been gradually whittled down from an initial list of 19 developer and house builders to only one.
Sheila Johnston, Director of Development and Enterprise, says: “This is a significant moment for Gateshead.”
“We have a unique insight into how local people want to see their communities develop because we speak to residents, involve them and listen carefully to what they have to say. It is their comments and their aspirations which have helped shape the proposals, and will continue to do so.
“The process to date has helped to identify the right partner for Gateshead. However, there is still a great deal of work to do to turn today’s decision into a formal legal partnership, and that work starts now. By early next year, we hope to have started on our very first housing development - which is likely to be on the former Freightliner depot site in Felling. We have already seen Evolution Gateshead’s initial ideas for this site and they are very exciting.”
Some of the imaginative proposals for the former Freightliner Depot site in Felling which helped to secure preferred bidder status for Evolution Gateshead.
Home Group is one of Britain's biggest housing and development businesses and England's number one provider of care and support. With assets of £1b and a £300m turnover, Home Group is a not-for-profit social enterprise with a mission to open doors for people across the UK.
Galliford Try is one of the UK’s leading construction, housebuilding and regeneration businesses with a £1.2bn turnover. A top ten construction company and the seventh largest housebuilder in the UK, Galliford Try has a track record of market-leading regeneration projects.
Mark Henderson, Chief Executive of Home Group, says:
“We want to build outstanding homes and flourishing communities, representing another chapter in Gateshead’s remarkable transformation. We’ve commissioned world-leading architects designing to the highest environmental standards. Our financial strength, expertise in housing and care and support, and local presence, coupled with Gateshead’s vision and an outstanding partner in Galliford Try, put us in a unique position to deliver.”
Galliford Try Chief Executive Greg Fitzgerald commented: “We are delighted that Galliford Try will be working with Gateshead Council on the transformation of communities across Gateshead. We look forward to using our expertise in creating quality, sustainable housing on one of the UK’s largest regeneration projects as well as creating employment and training opportunities for local people.”
The anticipated 2,400 new homes – which will include affordable housing - will be built to a minimum Code for Sustainable Homes Level 4, which will ensure that they are among the best insulated and most energy-efficient homes in the UK.