- CAMPGROUND IS CLOSED On Monday 8th April the Campground Household Waste and Recycling Centre at Wrektnon closed for 12 months for refurbishment.
- WELFARE REFORM UPDATE - MAY 2013 From April 2013 local housing allowance rates have changed and are nowfixed for the full year. All LHA tenants have had their housingbenefit reassessed using the new rates from 1st April 2013. Therewill no longer be anniversary dates, however,
- NEW TRAINING DATE SET Due to demand, a new training session on the subject of possession has been set for Thursday 5th September from 1.30 - 4.30.
- BULKY HOUSEHOLD WASTE COLLECTIONS
- SWALWELL LANDLORDS LICENSING REMINDER Just a note to remind those of you who have properties within the new landlord licensing area in Swalwell, that the scheme goes live on 8th April 2013. It is an offence not to have a licence after this date, so would urge you to make arrangements to
- &NBSP;MEETING/TRAINING SCHEDULE FOR 2013 Training Events
- FLUES IN VOIDS REGULATIONS On the 1st of January 2013, a new gas regulation came into force regarding all gas boiler flues connected to room-sealed fan assisted boilers which have been fitted in void spaces. The flue regulations require that a Gas Safe Engineer must be able to see
- ILLEGAL TOBACCO&NBSP;AND PRIVATE RENTED PROPERTIES The illegal trade in tobacco is considered by some as a victimless crime. However, the reality is the trade is linked to organised crime and contributes to an underground economy worth hundreds of millions of pounds, the profits of which are used to
- ASSISTANCE FOR INSULATION AND CENTRAL HEATING IMPROVEMENTS Privately rented properties
- &NBSP;GATESHEAD WARMZONE Gateshead Warmzone have changed and updated their website. A new link can be found below. The old one has been closed down and will no longer be is use so any links to it will be redundant.
- WARMER HOMES MEAN HEALTHIER CHILDREN Many families on low-incomes have to make the choice between being warm and other essential items such as food or clothing.
- WELFARE REFORM UPDATE - SEPTEMBER 2012 Local Housing Allowance for private sector tenants from April 2013
- FREE LOFT AND CAVITY WALL INSULATION Gateshead Warmzone can now offer Loft Insulation and Cavity Wall Insulation for free to any housing tenure.
- NEW TENANCY DEPOSIT PROTECTION RULES New deposit protection rules start soon that close loopholes that let landlords escape fines by returning money to tenants on the steps of the Court.
- THE WORK OF THE VULNERABLE PERSONS&RSQUO; HOUSING GROUP AND PANEL ARE CURRENTLY UNDER REVIEW. You have an opportunity to tell us where you think there are gaps in housing provision or how services are delivered for some of the most vulnerable people within our communities.
- HOMESLESS HEROES One of our members has contacted me about the above organisation.
- DEVELOPER FOR &POUND;347M GATESHEAD HOMES PLAN CHOSEN
- FREE FIRE RISK ASSESSMENTS AND SMOKE ALARMS Gateshead Council in partnership with the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service (TWFRS) are participating in a project to improve fire safety in the private rented sector. The Private Landlords Project will run from April 2011 and enables a free fire risk
- KIM PROVES SHE IS HOT PROPERTY ! Kim Waugh, who has been working hard to raise standards in the private rented sector team, has won a prestigious "Property Woman of the Year" Award from the National Landlords Association.
- ENERGY PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATES From 1st October 2008, any private landlord renting out his property to a new tenant will need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property.
- LANDLORDS BEWARE! All landlords are asked to be particularly vigilant when taking on board new tenants. It is essential that you are aware of a tenants history so you can make an informed decision as to whether they are suitable for your property.
FUTURE PROPOSED CHANGES TO HOUSING BENEFIT
The regulations for these changes have not yet been passed so they could alter.
From April 2012 the shared room rate could apply to any single person up to the age of 35. It currently applies up to the age of 25.
From April 2012, LHA rates will only increase in line with the consumer prices index, and so will not be related to rental prices.
From April 2013 people who have been on jobseekers allowance for more than 12 months will have their housing benefit reduced by 10 per cent.
From April 2013 there will be a cap to the overall amount of benefit someone can receive. This will be a total of all benefits and will be capped at £500 a week.
From April 2013, the government is proposing to introduce Universal Credit, which will include housing benefit. This will be introduced over a period of time.
For more information on housing and council tax benefit you can contact us:
Phone: 0191 433 4646
In Person: At Gateshead Civic Centre, Regent Street. Mon-Thurs 8,45am-5pm & Fri 8.45am-4.35pm (you can also make an appointment in advance on the above number)