- TRACKER RATE CAMPAIGN REQUESTS MORE LANDLORD ASSOCIATION SUPPORT The background to the Tracker Rate Campaign is that at least two mortgage lenders have used ambiguities within consumer protection legislation to increase their profit margins on some of their tracker rate mortgage products for both homeowners and smal
- SIGNS THAT YOU COULD BE RENTING TO A CANNABIS FARMER The latest report from the Independent Drug Monitoring Unit says that there are now as many as 500,000 people growing cannabis in the UK. Here is some advice on spotting the early signs of a cannabis farm in the property you’re renting out.
- RESULTS OF LANDLORD SURVEY We recently asked our members to take part in a survey regarding their experiences. A number responded with concerns about Housing Benefit. We put their concerns forward to the Housing Benefit section and they have responded accordingly.
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR LANDLORDS ABOUT DOMESTIC ABUSE If you believe one of your tenants is suffering from domestic abuse but they want to stay in your property the Sanctuary Scheme can make it possible for them to remain there. The scheme makes your home safer by installing the security measures you think w
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT WHEELY BINS Over recent years the Council has faced a sharp rise in the number ofwheeled bins reported lost, stolen or damaged, leading to asignificant increase in the cost of supplying replacement bins.
- WARM UP NORTH PRESENTATION At the last GPLA Meeting on 3rd October British Gas, the delivery partner for the Warm Up North, presented the scheme to members of the association.
- LANDLORDS WITH WEST BROMWICH FACE TRACKER MORTGAGE RISE Thousands of UK landlords are facing a rise in the interest rate charged on their tracker mortgages despite no change in the Bank of England rate.
- WELFARE REFORM UPDATE &NDASH; OCTOBER 2013 Changes to Housing benefit from April 2013
- TOP TIP FROM ONE OF OUR LANDLORDS Now that the weather is starting to change , we are all starting to think about putting our heating systems on.
- HELP US STOP LOAN SHARKS NOW. Gateshead Council in partnership with ateshead Private Landlords Association are working in Partnership with the England Illegal Money Lending Team to help stop loan sharks. As a local landlord we would ask you to be vigilant in relation to this matter an
- SINCE THE INTRODUCTION OF THE BOND PROTECTION SCHEME IN APRIL 2007, THERE HAS BEEN A RISE IN THE NUMBER OF LANDLORDS ASKING FOR ADMIN CHARGES. THIS HAS RESULTED IN A NUMBER OF COURT CASES QUESTIONING THE AMOUNT OF ADMIN FEES BEING CHARGED. IN THESE CASES a. the amount being charged, and
- MULTI-MILLION POUND ENERGY EFFICIENCY MAKEOVER FOR HOMES IN THE NORTH EAST Up to 50,000 households and businesses in the North East are set to benefit from an energy efficiency scheme – Warm Up North – worth up to £200m that is aimed at reducing energy bills and tackling fuel poverty.Delivered by the nation&rsq
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT BONDS On 14th June Lord Justice Lloyd delivered his judgement on an appeal from the Wandsworth County Court in the case of Superstrike Ltd vs Marino Rodrigues.
- CAMPGROUND IS CLOSED On Monday 8th April the Campground Household Waste and Recycling Centre at Wrektnon closed for 12 months for refurbishment.
- WELFARE REFORM UPDATE - MAY 2013 From April 2013 local housing allowance rates have changed and are nowfixed for the full year. All LHA tenants have had their housingbenefit reassessed using the new rates from 1st April 2013. Therewill no longer be anniversary dates, however,
- BULKY HOUSEHOLD WASTE COLLECTIONS
- SWALWELL LANDLORDS LICENSING REMINDER Just a note to remind those of you who have properties within the new landlord licensing area in Swalwell, that the scheme goes live on 8th April 2013. It is an offence not to have a licence after this date, so would urge you to make arrangements to
- FLUES IN VOIDS REGULATIONS On the 1st of January 2013, a new gas regulation came into force regarding all gas boiler flues connected to room-sealed fan assisted boilers which have been fitted in void spaces. The flue regulations require that a Gas Safe Engineer must be able to see
- NEW TENANCY DEPOSIT PROTECTION RULES New deposit protection rules start soon that close loopholes that let landlords escape fines by returning money to tenants on the steps of the Court.
- FUTURE PROPOSED CHANGES TO HOUSING BENEFIT The regulations for these changes have not yet been passed so they could alter.
- HOMESLESS HEROES One of our members has contacted me about the above organisation.
- DEVELOPER FOR &POUND;347M GATESHEAD HOMES PLAN CHOSEN
- FREE FIRE RISK ASSESSMENTS AND SMOKE ALARMS Gateshead Council in partnership with the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service (TWFRS) are participating in a project to improve fire safety in the private rented sector. The Private Landlords Project will run from April 2011 and enables a free fire risk
- KIM PROVES SHE IS HOT PROPERTY ! Kim Waugh, who has been working hard to raise standards in the private rented sector team, has won a prestigious "Property Woman of the Year" Award from the National Landlords Association.
- ENERGY PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATES From 1st October 2008, any private landlord renting out his property to a new tenant will need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property.
- LANDLORDS BEWARE! All landlords are asked to be particularly vigilant when taking on board new tenants. It is essential that you are aware of a tenants history so you can make an informed decision as to whether they are suitable for your property.
Tracker Rate Campaign Requests More Landlord Association Support
The background to the Tracker Rate Campaign is that at least two mortgage lenders have used ambiguities within consumer protection legislation to increase their profit margins on some of their tracker rate mortgage products for both homeowners and small buy to let landlords. For example:-
- 12,200 Bank of Ireland mortgage accounts whereby a mixture of homeowner mortgages and buy to let mortgage borrowers were targeted – all of which pre-dated the Oct 2008 mortgage regulations
- 6,700 West Brom Building Society mortgage accounts whereby landlords with 3 or more properties have been targeted – there is no case law to define what would constitute a consumer landlord although there is case law to acknowledge that landlords can be consumers. Therefore, Unfair Consumer Contract Terms legislation may or may not apply and it would appear that the WBBS are relying on affected borrowers not being able to raise sufficient funds to challenge this or litigate other points of contract law.
If you are unfamiliar with tracker rates, “Tracker rate mortgages give you the certainty of knowing that the rate you pay will move in line with Bank Base Rates”
Believe it or not, the text in italics above comes straight from the West Brom website!
A document called “Mortgages Made Simple”, which is also published by the West Brom Building Society, includes the following statement …
“A tracker mortgage links your interest rate to the Bank of England Base Rate so your monthly payments move as this changes. This means you could benefit from cheaper payments when the Bank Base Rate is low but you will also need to budget for higher mortgage payments in case the rate goes up.”
Having been lobbied heavily by their constituents, Jason McCartney and David Morris are both delighted with the cross party support of EDM976 regarding the Conduct of Mortgage lenders, there are 43 signatories as of 13th February 2014 – (see http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2013-14/976) and several more ministers, who are unable to sign the Early Day Motion, have vowed to back the campaign by writing to the Chancellor, Treasury Ministers and the CEO’s of the mortgage lenders participating in this scam.
Andrew Tyrie, Chairman of the Treasury Select Committee, put massive pressure on the FCA to intervene when the Bank of Ireland first announced it’s plans in March 2013. However, the FCA refused to take the case to Court or even to seek independent legal advice on the detailed complaints put forward by the legal team of a campaign group organised by the internet forum Property118.com. If enough money can be raised the campaign group would also like to fund a judicial review of the FCA’s conduct of this affair and well as seeking a legal definition of when a landlord ceases to be a consumer. The legal case of OFT vs Foxtons recognised that landlords could be consumers and therefore benefit from the Unfair Terms in Consumer contract Regulations. However, the case failed to identify when a landlord would no longer be considered to be a consumer and benefit from this additional consumer protection. In the Bank of Ireland case, the FCA also provided assurances to Mr Tyrie that the Bank of Ireland was a “one off” scenario. However, shortly thereafter the West Brom Building Society announced its plans to increase its tracker rate margins too.
Several MP’s have applied for a 90 minute debate and Property118 members are urging their own MP’s to do the same. The campaign group are pressing to arrange for Mark Alexander, the Property118.com campaign organiser, and his legal team to meet with Andrew Tyrie and Sajid Javid at the treasury to brief them in greater detail.
The Early Day Motion reads as follows:-
“That this House condemns mortgage lenders breaching tracker rate mortgage contracts by unilaterally increasing the margin they charge over the Bank of England base rate in order to increase their profit margins and deliberately targeting borrowers where consumer protection law is ambiguous; and calls on the Government to investigate the alleged associated recent activities of the Bank of Ireland and West Bromwich Building Society.”
With the consumer based regulators seemingly having washed their hands of these cases it has been left up to borrowers to raise funds to fight this out in Court on the basis of contractual issues and misrepresentation. Given that mortgage lenders have very deep pockets when it comes to funding legal action, and the potential of borrowers having costs awarded against them if they lose, it is very easy to see why this is a such a terrible position for those affected to be in.
That is far from where this might end though. This could be bigger than the RBS scandal, LIBOR fixing or the mis-selling of PPI or interest rate hedging products. Over 2.5 million tracker rate mortgages have been sold in the UK and such is the fear of other lenders following suit that the Property118.com internet forum thread relating to this campaign has been viewed over 165,000 times and nearly 4,000 comments have been posted.
Campaigners have raised well over £100,000 but this is a drop in the ocean when compared to the profits these lenders are making on the back of the increases and the funds they will throw at litigation to defend their positions.
Members of the group are now urging for all landlords associations to recommend to their members that they also raise this issue with their own MP’s. This could well be the tip of the iceberg for landlords who are unaffected at the moment but if they do have tracker rate mortgage they must surely be concerned about this very worrying trend.
You can download a PDF of this article HERE. Please forward to your Local Landlords Association Representative and their CEO.
Press enquiries to:-