- IMPORTANT CHANGES TO SECTION 21 NOTICES FROM 1ST OCTOBER 2015 Due to a combination of the Deregulation Act 2015 and the Assured Shorthold Tenancy Notices and Prescribed Requirements (England) Regulations 2015 (S1 2015 No. 1646) there are big changes to the way in which Section 21 notices are issued from 1st October
- THE SMOKE & CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM (ENGLAND) REGULATIONS, 2015 Q & A Booklet for the Private Rented Sector - landlords and tenants
- TAX CHANGES All you need to know about the Government’s plans to restrict finance cost relief for individual landlord.
- SMOKE ALARM REGULATIONS. From 1st October 2015 new regulations come into force under the Deregulation Act with require landlords to ensure the fire safety of their tenants as well as offer protection against carbon monoxide poisoning.
- TRAINING SCHEDULE FOR 2015 Gateshead Private Landlords Association (GPLA)
- SECTION 8 AND SECTION 13 NOTICES As from 6th April 2015 new forms have been prescribed for the above notices.
- DEREGULATION ACT 2015 Following the passing of the Deregulation Act on 27th March 2015 there are a number of new rules in force for landlords and agents.
- FURNITURE AND FIRE SAFETY ALERT It has recently come to the attention of our colleagues in Trading Standards that there may be fire safety issues with some furniture that may be supplied to local landlords.
- IMPORTANT&NBSP; INFORMATION ON DEPOSITS/BONDS Under the new Deregulation Act which came into force on 26th March 2015, important changes were introduced regarding any bonds taken by a private landlord/agent from a tenant. These changes came into force immediately:
- BENEFITS UPDATE &NDASH; MARCH 2015UNIVERSAL CREDIT This is now live in a number of areas in the North West for both single JSA claimants and families and householders. Anyone of working age making a new claim to certain state benefits in these areas will apply for Universal Credit. National Ro
- LEGIONELLAYOUR DUTIES AND LEGAL RESPONSIBILITIES AS A LANDLORD Organisations, or self-employed individuals, who provide residential accommodation or who are responsible for the water system(s) in their premises, are responsible for ensuring that the risk of exposure to legionella in those premises is properly assesse
- PROPERTY REDRESS SCHEME It is a legal requirement for all lettings agents and property managers in England to belong to one of three approved Government redress schemes from 1 October 2014.
- NEW COURT OF APPEAL DECISION MAKES LANDLORDS AND AGENTS REPAIRS OBLIGATIONS MORE ONEROUS As a landlord or letting agent you probably thought:
- FREE BOILER SCHEME - DOES YOUR TENANT QUALIFY? Free or Subsidised Gas Boilersfor people who really need them
- ENERGY SAVING INFORMATION The Landlord’s Energy Saving Allowance (LESA) was introduced by HMRC to encourage landlords to improve the energy efficiency of let residential properties. It is an allowance for the cost of acquiring and installing certain energy-saving items.
- LANDLORDS RIGHTS TO ENTER THEIR TENANT'S PROPERTY Whether or not a landlord can enter his tenant’s property to carry out inspections, repair work etc even if the tenant is unhappy about this, is a hotly debated issue.
- LANDLORDS AND TAX HMRC is offering a range of support and advice for residential property landlords who want to bring their tax affairs up to date by being offered online training in tax matters. The computer-based tutorials will make it easier for them to understand when
- APPROVED REDRESS SCHEME FOR AGENTS Letting agents have until 1 October 2014 to register with 1 of 3 redress schemes, to ensure tenants and leaseholders have a straightforward option to hold their agents to account.
- IMMIGRATION ACT 2014 The Immigration Act 2014 contains a range of measures to reform and streamline the immigration system and address illegal immigration. It introduces restrictions on illegal immigrants accessing rented housing.
- PRE-PAYMENT METERS A pre-payment meter works on a ‘pay as you go’ basis so that tenants are in control of how much energy they are using.
- AS COURT COSTS RISE WHAT IS THE ACTUAL COST OF GETTING YOUR PROPERTY BACK? On 22nd April civil court fees rose. Below are the fees relating to Repossession of a property from a bad tenant.
- NORTHUMBRIAN WATER See below a link to a very handy tool from Northumbrian Water where you can list, view and manage the water service charges for all of your properties.
- TRACKER RATE CAMPAIGN REQUESTS MORE LANDLORD ASSOCIATION SUPPORT The background to the Tracker Rate Campaign is that at least two mortgage lenders have used ambiguities within consumer protection legislation to increase their profit margins on some of their tracker rate mortgage products for both homeowners and smal
- SIGNS THAT YOU COULD BE RENTING TO A CANNABIS FARMER The latest report from the Independent Drug Monitoring Unit says that there are now as many as 500,000 people growing cannabis in the UK. Here is some advice on spotting the early signs of a cannabis farm in the property you’re renting out.
- RESULTS OF LANDLORD SURVEY We recently asked our members to take part in a survey regarding their experiences. A number responded with concerns about Housing Benefit. We put their concerns forward to the Housing Benefit section and they have responded accordingly.
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR LANDLORDS ABOUT DOMESTIC ABUSE If you believe one of your tenants is suffering from domestic abuse but they want to stay in your property the Sanctuary Scheme can make it possible for them to remain there. The scheme makes your home safer by installing the security measures you think w
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT WHEELY BINS Over recent years the Council has faced a sharp rise in the number ofwheeled bins reported lost, stolen or damaged, leading to asignificant increase in the cost of supplying replacement bins.
- LANDLORDS WITH WEST BROMWICH FACE TRACKER MORTGAGE RISE Thousands of UK landlords are facing a rise in the interest rate charged on their tracker mortgages despite no change in the Bank of England rate.
- WELFARE REFORM UPDATE &NDASH; OCTOBER 2013 Changes to Housing benefit from April 2013
- TOP TIP FROM ONE OF OUR LANDLORDS Now that the weather is starting to change , we are all starting to think about putting our heating systems on.
- HELP US STOP LOAN SHARKS NOW. Gateshead Council in partnership with ateshead Private Landlords Association are working in Partnership with the England Illegal Money Lending Team to help stop loan sharks. As a local landlord we would ask you to be vigilant in relation to this matter an
- SINCE THE INTRODUCTION OF THE BOND PROTECTION SCHEME IN APRIL 2007, THERE HAS BEEN A RISE IN THE NUMBER OF LANDLORDS ASKING FOR ADMIN CHARGES. THIS HAS RESULTED IN A NUMBER OF COURT CASES QUESTIONING THE AMOUNT OF ADMIN FEES BEING CHARGED. IN THESE CASES a. the amount being charged, and
- MULTI-MILLION POUND ENERGY EFFICIENCY MAKEOVER FOR HOMES IN THE NORTH EAST Up to 50,000 households and businesses in the North East are set to benefit from an energy efficiency scheme – Warm Up North – worth up to £200m that is aimed at reducing energy bills and tackling fuel poverty.Delivered by the nation&rsq
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT BONDS On 14th June Lord Justice Lloyd delivered his judgement on an appeal from the Wandsworth County Court in the case of Superstrike Ltd vs Marino Rodrigues.
- BULKY HOUSEHOLD WASTE COLLECTIONS
- SWALWELL LANDLORDS LICENSING REMINDER Just a note to remind those of you who have properties within the new landlord licensing area in Swalwell, that the scheme goes live on 8th April 2013. It is an offence not to have a licence after this date, so would urge you to make arrangements to
- FLUES IN VOIDS REGULATIONS On the 1st of January 2013, a new gas regulation came into force regarding all gas boiler flues connected to room-sealed fan assisted boilers which have been fitted in void spaces. The flue regulations require that a Gas Safe Engineer must be able to see
- NEW TENANCY DEPOSIT PROTECTION RULES New deposit protection rules start soon that close loopholes that let landlords escape fines by returning money to tenants on the steps of the Court.
- HOMESLESS HEROES One of our members has contacted me about the above organisation.
- DEVELOPER FOR &POUND;347M GATESHEAD HOMES PLAN CHOSEN
- KIM PROVES SHE IS HOT PROPERTY ! Kim Waugh, who has been working hard to raise standards in the private rented sector team, has won a prestigious "Property Woman of the Year" Award from the National Landlords Association.
- ENERGY PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATES From 1st October 2008, any private landlord renting out his property to a new tenant will need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property.
- LANDLORDS BEWARE! All landlords are asked to be particularly vigilant when taking on board new tenants. It is essential that you are aware of a tenants history so you can make an informed decision as to whether they are suitable for your property.
IMPORTANT CHANGES TO SECTION 21 NOTICES FROM 1st OCTOBER 2015
Due to a combination of the Deregulation Act 2015 and the Assured Shorthold Tenancy Notices and Prescribed Requirements (England) Regulations 2015 (S1 2015 No. 1646) there are big changes to the way in which Section 21 notices are issued from 1st October 2015.
The following changes will apply to all tenancies issued after 1st October 2015. The old rules apply to tenancies issued before this date. However, these rules will apply to all tenancies from 2018.
The new Section 21 (6A) Housing Act 1988 will be a prescribed Government form which will cover both fixed term and periodic tenancies.
It cannot be used in the first 4 months of a fixed term tenancy.
The new notice removes the need for the Section 21 to expire on the last day of a tenancy agreement. Two months or eight weeks, depending on the tenancy agreement, is all that is required.
Possession through the courts must then be sought within 4 months after the expiry of the Section 21.
No Section 21 can be given unless tenant has been provided with:-
- Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
- Gas Safety Certificate
- How to Rent Booklet – This eight page booklet can be obtained from www.gov.uk. No hard copies are available. It will be up to landlords/agents to download copies for their tenants. However, this can be sent by email where the tenant has notified the landlord/agent, in writing, of an email address where they are prepared to accept service of notices.
Signature must be obtained from the tenant to show that they have received this information.
As the Regulations state that the above information has to be given but does not state at what stage they are to be issued, landlords/agents are advised to give this information out at both the issue of the tenancy and again with the Section 21.
If tenancy is renewed with the same tenant, a new How to Rent Booklet would have to be issued if booklet has been updated by Government.
When serving notice allow 2 extra days on notice for delivery – these must be working days and not weekends or public holidays.
PROOF OF SERVICE IS CRUCIAL